Wednesday, December 26, 2007

National Treasure 2 - Just another treasure hunter kinda movie


This is the sequel of the 2004 film, National Treasure. Nicolas Cage once again star as Benjamin Franklin Gates, a treasure hunter. The story follows the journey of Ben gates to clear his family name after someone accused his great great grandfather Thomas Gates of conspiring in the assasination of US President Abraham Lincoln. Ben, with the help of his friend Riley, and his ex-girl friend, Abigail, embark upon a journey that will take them to Paris, London, and deep into the cave in Mount Rushmore , trying to find clues that will lead them to the City of Gold, and also in doing so clear Thomas Gates name. They went through many obstacles, break many codes, and violates dozens of laws to find the ultimate treasure City of Gold. The findings of this treasure will prove that Thomas Gates was really an innocent man.

I initially expect this film will be different. That this film will offer something new in this treasure hunting genre. You know, kind a like "Lord of The Ring". The one that brings this genre to new heights, gives me a new amazing conspiracy theories to think about after, the one that really gives attention to detail and realism aspect of the film. I turned out to be wrong. My expectations are not met. The movie ended with the way I predicted. There even a time when I thought that this film is finally over, but it wasnt. It left me thinking, "I saw one movie quite like it before. Was it The Da Vinci Code, or.. National Treasure the first, or Indiana Jones series? I dont know". This film is so standard. The Inca's city of gold theme is so frequently used, you will instantly recognised it. The city and interior of the cave looks pretty artificial. I guess they must have used a lot of CGIs. The kidnapping of the Presidents looks too easy and simplistic. I must say, theres no way on earth anyone can pull a kidnapping of a President of the United States which are known to have a very thick layer of security. Very unlikely.

But dont get me wrong, this film does have its upside. I love the car chase scene in downtown London. Ben Gates hijacked a new Mercedes, being chased by bad guys in Range Rover, being shot at, bumped from sideways, almost run over people at pedestrian, and yet it still run fast like nothing happen. It always feels amazing to watch such a beautiful car being manhandled. I recommend, dont get your hopes too high guys. Just see it for the action sequence, or better watch it in your dvd player at home with friends and family. Dont waste a lot of money in this. Believe me.

No comments: